How to Choose the Best Light Fixture for Your Home or Yard
The right light fixture can transform an average space into an extraordinary one. Whether you’re seeking a traditional feel or want to add some pizzazz with more modern ceiling lights, the right illumination is key to completing your look.
But how do you choose one light fixture from the thousands on sale in stores or online? Your best bet is to:
- Decide on your color palette or theme in each room
- Determine how much power runs through your home
- Count the amount of windows which allow for natural light
- Measure your rooms, including the height of the ceilings
- Determine the dimensions of your yard for exterior fight fixtures
Once you have these pieces of information in mind, you can narrow down your light fixture choices based on your exact light needs.
Modern Ceiling Lights or Traditional Sconces? The Options Are Endless!
Modern ceiling lights can add subtle light or whimsy, while traditional lighting fixtures may give your bulbs greater reach. If you’re remodeling your outdoor space, you could choose solar powered exterior lighting fixtures to keep your yard eco-friendly, or install ambiance lighting that both illuminates and increases your home’s safety. Depending on what you need, you might:
- Make the light your focal point. Hanging chandeliers or modern ceiling lights can not only help illuminate a room – they can help you create a first impression. In rooms with minimal decoration, or in hallways with tall ceilings, a bold light fixture can make a difference. This works equally well outdoors, where a lit fountain or water feature can add depth and dimension to your space.
- Create ambiance with recessed lights. By recessing your lights into the ceiling, you can create illumination that fits your mood – especially if you use dimmers.
- Use wall lighting in stairways. Wall lighting, or sconces, can be both beautiful and functional. If your stairways don’t offer a lot of head room, or if the ceilings are too high to install a fixture, wall lighting can help you create a safer, more brightly lit space. Some companies offer wall lighting that coordinates with chandeliers and flush mount lights as well, so you can continue the flow through your home in an uninterrupted way.
- Keep your busiest areas well lit. Bathrooms and kitchens get a lot of foot traffic, so you want to light those rooms well. Wall lighting is especially helpful in prep areas of the kitchen, and can add some much-needed illumination in the bathroom, too. A light fixture with fluorescent bulbs will give your hanging and flush mount lights a wider reach, but recessed lighting can help brighten up the space, too. You also want to light decks, patios and pool areas well, to avoid sustaining an injury when using your yard at night.
Regardless of what kinds of lighting you choose, you want a professional to help you if your choices require more than simply changing a fixture. At Center Island Contracting, our professional, licensed contractors can help you create the home of your dreams. We use only the finest supplies, because we’ve spent years building relationships with manufacturers. Whatever your lighting needs, we promise to treat you and your home with respect from day one.
From uplights outside to modern ceiling fixtures designed to create a continuous flow through each room, Center Island Contracting does it all. Give us a call at 631-465-9765 or fill out our online contact form to speak with an experienced designer about your illumination needs.