What to Avoid during Your Home Renovation
A home renovation is a big – and exciting – project. Whether you’ve bought a home that needs some TLC, or your own home needs to be updated to fit your lifestyle, home renovation projects always take time, patience and love. If you’re not careful, however, you can end up making some costly mistakes along the way.
To help you make the most of your house remodeling plans, we’ve compiled a list of things that you’ll want to avoid during the process. These helpful tips can help you keep your project moving forward without blowing your budget.
- Pay for the good materials. One of the biggest mistakes – if not THE biggest mistake – is to buy cheap or poorly made materials in order to save a few bucks. You’re better off paying more money now for sturdier building materials (like carpet) or upgraded accessories (like faucets), which will ultimately last longer and perform better.
- Upgrade your windows. All house remodeling plans should budget for new windows. They’re more energy efficient, and they keep your bills down when you’re running the heat or the air conditioning. Plus, new windows give your whole house a facelift.
- Consider your bathroom remodeling plans. An updated bathroom adds value to your home, should you ever sell it. Neglecting the bathroom, or making the bathroom smaller, can take away some of the charm and comfort of the space. Make sure your bathroom remodeling project includes low-flow toilets, to save money and conserve water, and low-flow shower heads.
- Think about your lights. Almost everyone uses energy saving bulbs now, but one of the biggest home renovation mistakes comes from choosing fixtures that can’t support them. Some light fixtures require specialized bulbs which can cost big bucks, and use up a lot of energy.
- Go slowly with your kitchen renovation. Nothing adds more value to a home than a new kitchen, and no house remodeling project is complete without one. Locally sourced materials for your countertops and energy efficient appliances keep your budget intact, too. If you rush your kitchen renovation, or if you decide this is a good time to try your hand at DIY, you could end up having to redo it all over again in a few years.
- Remember to take your time. Your home renovation doesn’t need to be done all at once; you can schedule each room as you find the time and money for it. Gutting your whole house when you don’t need to do so can add a lot of time and a lot of money to your budget.
Custom House Remodeling by Experienced Designers and Builders
House remodeling is a big decision; you want to leave the dirty work to the professionals. At Center Island Contracting, we offer you the finest quality of work by trusted, licensed and insured professionals. From custom trim and masonry work, to kitchen and bathroom remodeling, to complete home restoration, our contractors have the skills and the experience to handle it all. We’ve cultivated relationships with our suppliers, ensuring that we use the best possible products and materials in our work. You can rest easy knowing that your home renovation plans are in good hands.
Center Island Contacting puts your needs first. Please call 631-465-9765 or fill out our contact form to discuss your home renovation plans. We promise that we’ll treat you and your home with the respect you both deserve.